The best way to explain what Document types are is a filing category that specified documents can be associated to.
Creating a new Document type
To create a Document Type you will first need to access to document types. This is located in Administration > Documents Admin > Document Types. Once accessing this it will display all existing document types.
Click on the blue plus icon next to Document Types. This will then display 4 text boxes and 2 dropdowns.
- Title – This one is rather self-explanatory. It is the title of your Document Type
- Description – In this section you can enter a brief description of what Documents will be contained inside this Document type. This is not mandatory but can help if there are Document types with similar names.
- Prefix – Prefix’s will appear before each document number sequence.
- Padding – this is how many 0’s are in the number. For example, if padding was set to 4 then the first item in the numbering sequence would be 00001.
- Workflow – this will assign it to a document workflow.
- Review Period – this is the period of time in witch the document type will be up for review. This is also optional but can be useful for keeping the Document types up to date.
Once all of these have been completed it should look like this:
Once you have made sure that everything is correct click the add button. This will generate the Document type.
If you wish to add a sub category on this just hover over it and click the plus icon next to the name. this will then display the same text boxes and dropdowns.
Editing a Document Type
If you are ever needing to edit any document type you can do this by selecting the document you want to edit, the information on the document type will appear on the right-hand side of the screen. Hover over the part that you want to edit and click the pen icon . If you select this, it will allow you to edit the selected part.
Archiving A document Type
To archive a document type, select the one you want to archive, a box with the document type information will appear on the right-hand side. Select the 3 dots on the top right and click archive
You will then be prompted with a warning message to make sure that you what this one archived.
Click archive and the Document type will be archived.