Who is this article for?
Administrators building forms.
Report admin permissions are required.
When users are filling in a form they can enter data in whatever format they need. However, in some instances you may want to force the user to fill in the information in the correct format.
For Example: Reference numbers, licence plates, aeroplane tail numbers, flight numbers, etc are all good examples of information that may need to have a set format.
This article outlines how to use field masking to configure a default format.
1. Examples of Field Masking
Field masking can be applied in a few ways depending on your needs. Some examples are:
- Number Only Mask of 6 Digits : 000000
- Letter Only Mask of 4 Characters : LLLL
- 2 Letters and 3 Letters Mask : LL000
Below is an example for 3 letters followed by 5 numbers.
2. How to Add a Mask
- Go to Administration, then Reporting Admin, then finally Forms.
- Open the form you need to edit.
Reminder: You can only edit a draft form. If your form is active then you will need to revise it.
- Click on the Field Bank.
- Locate the field and edit it.
- Check the box called Mask.
- Specify the masking required.